The United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID)-funded Nepal Renewable Energy Programme (NREP) is a 4.5-year, £18m programme that commenced in February 2019. The programme will operate in Provinces 2 and 5, and Karnali—in line with the decentralization of authority given to subnational governments through federalism—in close coordination with the Alternative Energy Promotion Centre.
NREP was designed to support the Government of Nepal (GoN) and the private sector plan and invest in a low-carbon development path resulting in economic growth, poverty reduction and climate-smart development. The Programme’s intended outcome is for government institutions and the private sector to increase investments in the Renewable Energy (RE) sector in communities across Nepal. The programme will endeavor to institutionalize change through an enabling policy, planning and regulatory environment.
Measurable goals of the programme include:
- An increase in installed capacity of RE by 16 MW—from new or upgraded installations.
- Provision of RE to 95,000 households, 500 small businesses, and 200 schools and health centres.
- Leveraging of £37.2m of private and public sector investment in RE, e.g. in Public Private Partnerships.
- Strengthened institutional and policy reforms and improved compliance mechanisms—across Federal, Provincial, and Local governments.
- Significant tonnage of avoided greenhouse gas emissions.
On NREP, Winrock will work closely with DAI on the strategic implementation of the programme. Winrock will play a pivotal role in RE market assessment, technical analysis of RE projects, development of a pathway to meet the programme’s installed RE capacity goals, balancing of RE demand and supply, and innovative finance interventions of RE in Nepal. Winrock’s work for the Programme will strengthen market mechanisms to attract private RE investment, including climate finance, to drive market growth and socio-economic development across sectors.
For further information please visit http://www.nrepnepal.com